Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Ultimate Palm Pilot


"I have graven you upon My hands..." Isaiah 49:16

Have you ever been in a situation where you needed to write something down, something important, but you had no paper available -- only a pen? What did you do? Write it on the palm of your hand? Of course you did; everybody has done that at least once. Even God.

Once you write anything on your hand it becomes a priority; you are going to have to do something about it right away. In fact, you really can't do anything else until you take care of that written matter.

But, what if it were tattooed on your hand? Or, even more graphic than that, what if it were engraved there? Would that suggest a far greater importance than merely jotting it down with washable ink? Absolutely. And this is precisely what the Lord has done for us.

The people had complained that God had forgotten them; forsaken them. But His answer boomed from heaven, and echoes through the corridors of time reaching even unto us today -

“Does a woman forget her sucking child, so as not to have compassion upon the child of her womb? Even though mothers should forget, I will not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands; thy walls stand continually before Me.”

One translation says, "I can never forget you! I have written your name on the palms of my hands." Another one puts it this way, "Behold, I have indelibly imprinted you on the palm of each of My hands!"

Could it be that when the nails pierced His hands, your name was being written there by God Himself? And do those rich wounds, yet visible above, stand even today as an eternal witness in heaven to God's unfailing commitment to you here on earth below. There is no doubt. As the great English poet expressed it --


"My name from the palms of His hands Eternity will not erase; Imprest on His heart it remains in marks of indelible grace." —Augustus Toplady

Now that's the ultimate Palm Pilot!

No comments: