Friday, June 06, 2008

Porridge from the Palace

.
"I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread." (Job 23:12)

There are those who would never think of going a full day without eating something -- anything.
Yet many of these hefty hoofers slug though life without ever taking so much as a nibble of the one thing they truly need more than anything -- a word from God.

Jesus taught us to specifically pray, "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11).

Obviously, He is not speaking here about the floury stuff we buy at the Grocers. While we trust the Lord to meet our physical needs on a daily basis, what He is telling us to ask for -- and to expect -- is a word from God in our lives everyday. I know this is true because Jesus elsewhere said, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." Thus, we understand that "bread" and "word from God" are synonymous; alike in meaning or significance.

Certainly we are to ask the Lord for our daily food which sustains our bodies, but how much more so are we to ask Him for a word from God -- that sustains our very lives? It is porridge from the Palace; a bountiful supply of rich and empowering fodder.

Yes, what we need more than anything else is a word from God. And when we treasure His words more than our necessary food, His voice will supply us with daily bread.

The Psalmist wrote, "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103). The prophet Jeremiah expressed the same sentiment, "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty" (Jeremiah 15:16). Jesus Himself enjoyed the porridge from the Palace -- "I have food to eat that you know nothing about" (John 4:32).

Don't you think, therefore, that you and I ought to lift our bowls heavenward, and receive our daily portion of this porridge from the Palace?

Bon apetite!

.

No comments: