Saturday, September 20, 2008

Crowding Out the Things that Matter

.
"What! Could you not watch with Me one hour?" (Matthew 26:40).


A few years ago National Geographic magazine did a report on Yosemite National Park, and featured a story about Carl Sharsmith, an 81 year old guide at the historic site. Carl was in his tent after a long afternoon with tourists. His nose was flaked white and red with sunburn; his eyes were watery, partly from age but also from hearing again an old question after a half century of summers in California's Yosemite National Park.

"I've only got an hour to spend at Yosemite," a lady tourist declared, "What should I do? Where should I go?"

Carl sighed. “Ah, lady, only an hour?" he asked; and then softly added, “I suppose that if I had only an hour to spend at Yosemite, I'd just walk over there by the river and sit down and cry."

The same could be said for those who have such little time to give to reading and reflecting upon the Word of God. Oh, what treasures we forfeit; what loss we incur – simply because we imagine ourselves too busy to take the time.

But, out of curiosity, just how much time do you think it would take to read from Genesis to Revelation? Well, if you would read the Bible out loud slow enough to be heard and understood, the full reading time would be seventy one hours. If you break that down into minutes and divide it into 365 days, you could easily read the entire Bible in one year by taking only twelve minutes each day.


The treasures you will find are of inestimable value. Here's but one fine example -- a prayer taken from the Psalms:

“Train me in your ways of wise living. I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it. I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it. Be generous with me and I'll live a full life; not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road. Open my eyes so I can see what you show me of your miracle-wonders. I'm a stranger in these parts; give me clear directions.” (see Psalms 119:12-19, The Message).
.

No comments: