Friday, November 14, 2008

The Lord is My Shepherd

.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." (Psalm 23:1).

Jesus is Lord and King, Conqueror, Savior, the Mighty God, Prince of Peace, the Christ, Emmanuel, Teacher, Prophet and Master. Of the many titles given to the Lord, Shepherd must undoubtedly be one of His favorite. It links Him in the most personal way to those He loves.

Say it out loud and let the truth settle deep in your heart: "The Lord is my Shepherd."

Isaiah prophesied, “He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.” (Isaiah 40:11). Peter preached, “For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.” (1 Pet 2:25).

David, himself a shepherd, penned the Twenty-third Psalm as a comprehensive tribute to the Lord. He encompasses in this short poem at least fifteen provisions that are made for us when we follow the Lord as our Shepherd.

1. Rest - He maketh me to lie down in green pastures
2. Peace - He leadeth me beside the still waters
3. Restoration - He restoreth my soul
4. Guidance - He leadeth me in paths of righteousness
5. Honor - for His name’s sake
6. Hope - I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
7. Courage - I will fear no evil
8. Companionship - Thou art with me
9. Comfort - Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me
10. Sustenance - Thou preparest a table before me
11. Vindication - in the presence of my enemies
12. Blessing - Thou anointest my head with oil
13. Fulness - My cup runneth over
14. Abundant Life- goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life
15. Eternal Security - I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever

As you can see, there is nothing left out. No wonder David said, “I shall not want!” The Lord gives us everything we need when we follow Him as our Shepherd.

“And now may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he who became the great Shepherd of the sheep by an everlasting agreement between God and you, signed with his blood, produce in you through the power of Christ all that is pleasing to him. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20,21).

.

No comments: