Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Purpose of Prayer (Part 3)

.
"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (Revelation 3:21).

Three things happen as we pray. First, we have fellowship with God. Second, we cooperate in bringing God's will to Earth. And, third, we are being prepared for Eternity.

One thing is certain about Heaven -- we will not sit around on fluffy clouds strumming harps and eating yogurt, preening our wings and polishing our halos. No; nothing like that at all. Instead, we will reign with Christ, for that's what the Bible tells us.

"To him that overcomes," Jesus said, "will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (Revelation 3:21). John gave us a glimpse into this exalted place, and we hear a mighty host of ransomed men and women from all nations singing, "You are worthy O Lord, for You have made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth." (Rev 5:10).

And the standing promise of the Ages, which fills our hearts with unshakable faith -- the kind that overcomes the world -- says it in perfect clarity: "They shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light: and they shall reign forever and ever." (Rev 22:4-5).

Our struggles here on earth, which intensify our resolve in prayer, become the very means whereby God is readying us for that place where we shall reign with Jesus. One old preacher called prayer, "reigning training." Its the process whereby God deepens our faith, broadens our vision, sharpens our discernment, awakens our passion, and unleashes His power.

The purpose of prayer is to train you to reign with Jesus. So when you bow your head to pray, remember -- every king kneels in order to be crowned.
.

No comments: