Sunday, March 22, 2009

God is Looking for Answers (Part 4)

.
"Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few" (Ecclesiastes 5:2).

"Now we come to the final few questions," says God. "Stand up and brace yourself. I want straight answers."

  1. Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?
  2. Do you presume to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
  3. Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint?
  4. Do you have an arm like my arm? Can you shout in thunder the way I can?
  5. Go ahead, show your stuff. Let's see what you're made of, what you can do. I'll gladly step aside and hand things over to you-- you can surely save yourself with no help from me!

After this overwhelming blast of questions from GOD, one final inquiry is made of Job, "Now what do you have to say for yourself?" Job's response is a model for us all.

"I'm speechless, in awe -- words fail me," Job answered. "I should never have opened my mouth! I've talked too much, way too much. I'm ready to shut up and listen. I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans.

You asked, 'Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?' I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head. You told me, 'Listen, and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.'

I admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand -- from my own eyes and ears! I'm sorry --f orgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise! I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, or the crumbs of rumor." (Job 42:1-6).

Yes, we all know that there are plenty of times when we just don't understand what God is doing, or why He is NOT doing what we think He surely SHOULD be doing about this or that. But remember -- "God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few."

.

No comments: