Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Bird in a Buick

.
“In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, 'Flee as a bird to your mountain?'” Psalm 11:1

There are at least three things every bird in the neighborhood have in common. They flitter, they fly, and they flee. They flitter when you set out seed and other bird stuff, like a bird bath. They fly because it beats hopping. Besides, its what they are made for. And they flee because they are frightened.

The other day I parked my Buick at the Golf Club, and joined some friends for a round of golf. I left my windows slightly open for air flow; no more than an inch. I also left the sun roof open by about three inches.

After we had finished golfing I returned to my car to head home. I popped the trunk and set my clubs and shoes inside, then opened the driver’s door to get in the car. That’s when I saw it. A huge, gnarly splat of fresh bird poop right smack on the middle console of my front seats – exactly where your elbow sets while you’re driving.

“Nice shot!” I said out loud, complementing whatever bird had been so exacting as to aim and fire his load through such a small opening in the sun roof; while in flight no less! I was truly impressed. That is, until I saw a flitter in the corner of my eye.

The bird was in the Buick! Not only that, he had been there long enough to “do his business” all over the place! Let’s just say he was pooped out.


OK, so I opened the doors and he lit out of there and zoomed to a high perch in a distant tree. He was, in a word, frightened. The flitting bird became a fleeing bird.

By the way, it was a Mocking Bird.

This brings me to our text. “In the LORD put I my trust,” David says to his timid advisors. “How say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?” (Psalm 11:1).

We will pick up here tomorrow and take a closer look at this. It will be worth the wait.

.

No comments: