Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Keep Me Safe Till the Storm Passes By

.
“I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.’” (Psalm 91:2).

Many are unaware that Moses was not only the Lawgiver, but also a prolific Poet in his own right. And as the Ten Commandments tower above all other laws that have ever been written, perhaps The Song of Moses (which we know as Psalm 91) stands peerless among the songs and poems of all other men.

Simon de Muis, renowned Christian Hebrew scholar from the 1800’s, wrote of Psalm 91, “It is one of the most excellent works of this kind which has ever appeared. It is impossible to imagine anything more solid, more beautiful, more profound, or more ornamented. Could the Latin or any modern language express thoroughly all the beauties and elegancies as well of the words as of the sentences, it would not be difficult to persuade the reader that we have no poem, either in Greek or Latin, comparable to this Hebrew ode.”
(from Spurgeon’s Treasury of David)

Psalm 91 comes into an even sharper focus if you bear in mind that Moses wrote it on the night of the first Passover, as he and all those who had marked their doors with the blood of a lamb were kept safe while the Destroying Angel passed over the land of Egypt executing the final blow in the series of awful plagues that were unleashed against Pharaoh’s rebellious pride.

One cannot but wonder if the God of Heaven still holds in His arsenal such devastating weapons as He used in the plagues against Egypt – pollution of the water, demonic defilement of the land, incurable diseases upon the people, depletion of natural resources, loss of vision and hope, and an end of future generations.


And, if He still holds such weaponry in hand, at what point does He decide to unfurl His banner of War against those Nations today that flaunt their arrogance in His face?

We do know that a Day is coming upon this beleaguered Planet when Heaven and Hell collide in catastrophic battle – and those who are marked by God will be preserved, as in the first Passover. May you and I be counted in that number!


The old Gospel standard by Vestal Goodman may best sum up our sentiments --

“In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,

While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,
Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.”

Let's follow Moses' example --
“I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.’”
.

No comments: