Monday, July 20, 2009

Head 'Em Up and Move 'Em Out!

.
Hinder me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.” (Genesis 24:56).

Abraham’s servant had met with success in his epic quest to find a wife for Isaac – the beautiful Rebecca. Eager to return to Abraham, the servant met with some resistance from Rebecca’s family; who wanted to hold on to her just a little longer. And thus these words: “Hinder me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.”

There comes a time when one must move on; when one must be let go unto his master. Perhaps you are at just such a time and place now. It's time to head 'em up and move 'em out. Otherwise a bright morning can fade into an ambling afternoon; and, an ambling afternoon can issue into a long dark night. Now is the time for decisive action. Now is the time for you to make your move toward God’s higher purpose.

The mark of such a moment is expressed in this phrase -- "seeing the Lord has prospered me." The word means to "push forward." Sometimes the Lord makes staying in the place where we no longer belong very obvious.

The heart of a servant says, "How shall I loiter in these temporal delights and sentiments, when the Lord has pushed me forward to a greater destiny?" He or she girds themselves up with resolve: No more lingering or loitering about; no more dilly-dally with routine matters; no more procrastination in a time of prospering.

“I am resolved no longer to linger, charmed by the world's delights. Things that are higher, things that are nobler – these have allured my sights!” (Palmer Hartsough, 1896)

Is the Lord pushing you forward today?
.

No comments: