Sunday, July 05, 2009

The Owner’s Manual

.
“Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.” (Psalms 119:11).

I have a fine car, a mighty fine car. It’s a 2007 Buick Lucerne CXS, with the Northstar V8 engine, and this bird will fly. Not that I’ve ever pushed it (he wrote smartly, in the event that an officer of the law happens to be reading).


It’s just good to know that the power is there if I ever needed it – like, say, I was being chased by criminals; well, I could punch this bad boy and get to a Police Station, where the proper authorities could then take it from there. See what I mean? That’s all I’m saying.

Anyway, this car – black paint with sparkling chrome treatment, including wheels; and black leather interior -- is a stunning sight to behold. In fact, when I drive through the Hood, they call me JOJO.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that this car came with an owner’s manual. Of course I’ve never read it. Except in those moments when something needs my attention. For instance, I changed the oil the other day (because the onboard computer program told me I needed to do so).

But then, after the change, my program told me I still needed to change my oil. It evidently does not automatically reset itself to the fresh supply. I tried to figure out how to reset the button but could not do it. I looked inside the manual – it was all Greek to me.

So I pushed the OnStar button, and a friendly agent found the solution and guided me through the steps via the in-car phone call. I reset the meter, and cruised merrily down the highway, content in knowing that all things were once again right in my world.

Then it struck me that this is the way many of us approach life.

We have the Owner’s Manual (i.e., the Bible) but we seldom ever read it. In fact, we only open it when we are having trouble that we can’t figure out. But, for most of us, the words are foreign and bewildering. So, we call Pastor OnStar for a word of encouragement and assistance; and he helps us through yet another rough spot in our otherwise well-ordered lives.

Hmmmm.

Surely we can do better. After all, have we not been summoned to a more excellent way? Why not spend some time today in the Owner’s Manual, looking for that one thing that finds its way straight into your heart. Don’t worry about the parts you don’t yet understand, just go with what God shows you now.

You’ll be cruising along the High Way in no time at all!
.

No comments: