Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Unhurried Savior

.
"But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience." (Luke 8:15).


If there is one lesson that stands out in life it is that good things take time to come to fruition. Nothing worthy ever happens quickly.

Years ago as a young, eager and aspiring preacher, I remember hearing an older sage of God say, "When God wants to make a squash, He takes six months. When He wants to make an Oak tree, He takes twenty years. Which do you want to be?"

I didn't appreciate it at the time, because I was in a hurry to greatness. I was like the Rabbit in Alice's Wonderland, "I've got places to go, things to do, people to see!" But, I've been around long enough now to have seen and experienced for myself the truth of his words. The Lord is not in a hurry!

I've seen young upstarts come and go, like fireworks on the Fourth of July. A big bang, a pretty splash, lots of ooohs and aaahs -- and then nothing. Nothing but the same dark sky that was there before they popped and fizzled away.

And then there are the others; those bright-light souls that are not really noticed by most people at all, simply because they are always there like the sun in the daytime or the moon and stars at night. Just there, doing what God ordained them to do -- shining.

I'll take steady over quick every time. I'll take shine over flash as well. God give me grace to bring forth fruit with patience. Prove that I'm built for the long haul!

Remember the children's song? "He's still workin' on me to make me what I oughta be. It took Him a week to make the sun and the stars; Venus, Mercury, Neptune and Mars. How lovin' and patient He must be! 'Cause He's still working on me!!"

Jesus is the unhurried Savior. He's working on a truly great masterpiece that will be displayed in glory. That masterpiece is YOU. For your part then, be an unhurried soul; keep an honest and good heart into which you may hear His word and treasure it; and then bring forth fruit with patience all the days of your life.
.

No comments: