Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out of Step

.
"I've been out of step with you for a long time" (Psalm 51:5, The Message).

OK, so let me tell you something childlike I did as a boy. Whenever I saw someone walking along that I really admired, I would actually try to walk in step with them, stride for stride -- even from a distance. In my mind it was as if I would be like them if I could walk in step with them.

Silly, I know, but don't we all do that in one form or another? We dress like, talk like, think like, walk like, and act like those we admire most. Is it in hopes that be will actually in someway be like them? Of course. Why else would we do it?

That brings me to the point of today's thought -- walking in step with Jesus.

The Psalmist confessed, "I've been out of step with you for a long time." I can relate to this all too well. The Lord turns right, and I go wrong. He walks upward, I turn downward. He slows down, and I hurry up; He picks up the pace and I lag a bit behind. He says Hello; and I say Good-bye. And so on.

Occasionally, however, I do manage to get it right somehow; I walk in step with Jesus. And in those moments, rare as they are, I am actually somewhat like Him. Or at least am aiming to be. Lord, have mercy and be patient with me.

How about you? Do you see Him walking by anywhere throughout your busy day? Do you sense His presence, hear His voice, follow His leading, and keep in step with Him? Aren't you, in the words of the apostle Paul, becoming "conformed to His image?"

Oh, but don't you want to be? I do.

So let's give it another shot; let's see if today we can walk in step with Jesus. Who knows, we just might be able to pull it off this time, and end up becoming more and more like Him day by day.
.

No comments: