Friday, September 25, 2009

Standing Firm in a Tospy Turvy World

.
“Without warning your life can turn upside-down, and who knows how or when it might happen?” (Proverbs 24:22, The Living Bible).

What can you do in a topsy-turvy world? Where can you turn when everything is turned upside down? When the lid blows off, and the bottom drops out, and the walls come crashing in -– all at the same time….how will you fare? Will you be able to find heaven when all hell breaks loose?

There is an accepted standard of civil behavior in our society; we all basically know how we are supposed to behave around one another. There are definite “dos and don’ts” – even though they are not written down anywhere. We just know them. And for the most part, we abide by them – and behave ourselves.

But sometimes there comes such a shock to the social system that all bets are off; it would seem that anything goes when everything is shaken.

It’s like what happens when you kick an anthill; the normal activity suddenly shifts, and the ground swarms with more ants than you can imagine; spilling out of the disrupted dirt pile like lava out of a volcano.

What if our anthill gets kicked? What if some colossal event rocks our world to the core, and an otherwise well ordered society goes abuzz with rash activity? What will you do? Where will you turn?

Or, take it to the personal level. Maybe the world goes on just fine, as it has now for indefinite days. But your world is crumbling around you. A great loss has ripped your soul apart, a dark loneliness has swept over your heart, a catastrophic fear has seized your thoughts, or an eroding doubts is stealing away your dreams.

What are you to do now?

Well, it might be helpful for you to know that others have go before you and left a trail that leads safely through these dark woods. Here is but one one example:

“I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and He saved me from my enemies. The ropes of death entangled me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry to Him reached His ears." (Psa 18:3-6, New Living Translation)

The writer concludes by saying, “He stood me up on a wide-open field; I stood there saved -- surprised to be loved! GOD made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before Him. When I got my act together, He gave me a fresh start.” (Psa 18:19-20, The Message).


Call out to God, and He will answer you. Trust Him and do what He tells you – for a wide-open field is yet in your future!
.

No comments: