Thursday, November 27, 2008

Moses Russell and the Ten Dollar Miracle (Part 2)

.
"Your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him!" (Matthew 6:8, Living Bible).

Driving on the gravel road, yielding to cows that were free grazing and intermittently crossing the road , was a bizarre experience. Watching the gas gauge continually fall below empty only added to our mounting anxieties. And then it happened. Out in the middle of the vast eastern Colorado expanse -- we ran out of gas!

The only sign of life was a farm house about four miles way off in the distance. We had seen no other cars coming or going for almost an hour, so I concluded that I would have to walk for help. Just as I was about to head on on my cross-country trek, a plume of dust appeared on the road up ahead. So I waited.

A Ford pickup pulled up and stopped, and a Texas size rancher stepped out of the cab. He was a man of towering stature, snow white hair, sky blue eyes, a face like leather, and a smile that lit up forty acres. "My name is Moses," he said, "Moses Russell. Looks like you could use some help."

He had me at Moses.

"Yes sir," I answered, "we ran out of gas."

Moses reached into the back of his truck and pulled out a gas can, then emptied it into my tank. We were so bone dry that he had to prime the carburetor with a shot of gas just to get my car to start.

"Where you headed?" he asked.

"We're on our way to Kim, Colorado," I answered. "I've been invited to preach there this coming Sunday."

"You're closer than you realize," he said. "Kim is about a quarter mile just over that hill. You'll be there in less than five minutes."

Then Moses reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. Opening it, he handed me a ten dollar bill. "The Lord wants you to have this," he said -- as I stood there dumbstruck. I thaked him the best I could, and he headed on his way. We did the same.

But there's more to this story.

(to be continued tomorrow....)

.

No comments: