Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sleeping Through a Revolution (Part 4)

.
"Awake, you who sleep, arise from the dead, and Christ will give you light." (Ephesians 5:14).

We’ve got to want this awakening. Our hearts must do more than dream of these matters, they must hunger to be awakened, empowered, and transformed. We must be possessed of such a compelling desire that no bed can afford us comfort, no distraction can provide us peace, and no fear can back us down from reaching the prize.

Let me conclude this short series of devotional thoughts with a direct challenge, found in the inspiring words of James Ephraim McGirt, a celebrated African-American poet (1874-1930) --

"Success is a light upon the farther shore,
That shines in dazzling splendor to the eye.
The waters leap, the surging billows roar,
And he who seeks the prize must leap and try.
A mighty host stand trembling on the brink;
With anxious eyes they yearn to reach the goal.
I see them leap, and, Ah! I see them sink –
As gazing on dread horror fills my soul.
Yet to despair I can but droop and die;
‘Tis better far to try the lashing deep.
I much prefer beneath the surge to lie
Than death to find me on this bank asleep."
.
Rip Van Winkle slept through a revolution. Peter, James and John woke up and saw how glorious Jesus was. So……which will you do?
.

No comments: