"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools." (Romans 1:22).
Politicians, Pundits, Pop Stars and Preachers from Portland to Pensecola are proliferating the airwaves with pontifications galore about this and that -- each upstaging one another in an endless barrage of opinionated arguments that leave most of us scratching our heads in honest bewilderment.
God Himself has tuned in on all of this prattle, and now He has a few questions for the experts. "Why do you confuse the issue?" He asks. "Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about? I have some questions for you, and I want some straight answers." (Job 38:2,3 The Message).
What then follows in the Bible is a blast of questions from God, offering man the opportunity to prove himself to be Godlike, which of course is preposterous. But still, God being fair, He at least gives man the chance to ascend to the Throne of Heaven, providing he can answer these simple questions.
Are you ready?
Alright, here we go. God wants to know....
- Where were you when I created the earth? Tell me, since you know so much! Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that! Who came up with the blueprints and measurements? How was its foundation poured, and who set the cornerstone, while the morning stars sang in chorus and all the angels shouted praise?
- And who took charge of the ocean when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds, and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it, a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, and said, 'Stay here, this is your place. Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'
- "And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!' and told Dawn, 'Get to work!' So you could seize Earth like a blanket and shake out the wicked like cockroaches? As the sun brings everything to light, brings out all the colors and shapes, the cover of darkness is snatched from the wicked -- they're caught in the very act!
- "Have you ever gotten to the true bottom of things, explored the labyrinthine caves of deep ocean?
- Do you know the first thing about death? Do you have one clue regarding death's dark mysteries?
How you doing? Am I going too fast for you? Need a break? OK. Take five and think how you will answer these few questions; but don't get too comfortable, because tomorrow I'll have plenty more to ask you!
PS - if you want a jump on the test, go read Job, chapters 38 through 42 (from the Message).